Purpose: The purpose of the Level 2: Essentials of Kayak Touring Trip Leader training is to prepare individuals who intend to lead other paddlers – either recreationally or professionally – in protected waterways. The emphasis of the training is leadership.
Course Location/Venue: Calm, protected water with constant access to safe landing and with 0.5 nautical miles from shore. Conditions include
- Winds less than 10 knots
- Waves less than 1 foot (0.3 meter)
- Current less than 1 knot
- No surf with shore break less than 1 foot (0.3 meter)
Training Overview: This training is designed to expose Trip Leader candidates to the skill set required for leading paddlers in protected waterways. While this is not a teaching award, the Trip Leader should also be able to provide basic tips to paddlers as appropriate to help them through the enviornment.
Optional Assessment: Successful completion of the optional assessment will provide evidence of the Trip Leader Candidate’s technical skills and confirm their knowledge, understanding, and ability to plan and implement trips for a wide variety of abilities in environments up to and including the Level 2: Essential of Kayak Touring Trip Leader conditions.
Risk: Please be aware of both ACA/RiverCoast’s Assumption of Risk and COVID-19 waivers. Individuals assume all responsibility for their well-being.
Essential Eligibility Criteria: This ACA course is open to all individuals who acknowledge the ability to perform the following essential eligibility criteria.
- Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
- Independently maintain sealed airway passages while underwater
- Independently hold head upright without neck/head support
- Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion
- Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
- Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
- Independently turn for face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket
- Get in/out of a paddlecraft independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
- Independently get out and from under a capsized paddlecraft
- Reenter the paddlecraft following deep water capsize independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
- Maintain a safe body position while attemtping skills, activities, and rescues listed in the course outline -and- have the ability to recognize and identify to others when such efforts would be unsafe given your personal situation
Prerequisites for Assessment:
- Age 18 years or older
- Current ACA member in good standing
- Completion of the Level 2: Essentials of Kayak Touring Trip Leader Training Course