Objectives: Trip Leader Candidates must be able to perform a variety of assisted rescues self-rescues, and tows in Level 2: Essentials of Kayak Touring Trip Leader conditions.
For sit inside kayaks, the skills include:
- Scoop Rescue
The following skills are optional if sit-on-top kayaks are available:
- Assisted Rescue side-by-side with stabilization
- Assisted Rescue cross kayak with PFD (life jacket) grab
For both sit inside and sit-on-top, the skills include:
- Stirrup rescue
- Efficient self-rescue from a swimming start
- Swimmer carries (bow, stern, and back deck)
- Contact tow (forward and reverse)
- Tow – single boat and multiple boat inline
- Rafted tow
- Unresponsive paddler rescue (e.g., Hand-of-God, boat flip)
Note: The trainer shall evaluate the candidate’s situational awareness and ability to maintain group control during the performance of rescues and towing exercises. A variety of touring, sit-on-top, and tandem kayaks may be used at the trainer’s discretion.
Course Applications and Suggestions: We’ll cover this topic on the water or in the outdoor classroom. Candidates will have the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to rescue and tow in scenarios.